Monday, September 13, 2010

Taming My Big Fat Tongue.

Why is my first reaction to raise my voice or to immediately think something negative. Ugh. I hate that about myself. I do this a lot with all the men in my castle. I found myself this weekend trying to teach my cranky kindergartner that he has to watch the things that come out of his mouth. Tonight my yummy blue eyed love spilled (his trademark) water all over the place before bed time. He felt so bad and was trying to get the water back in the glass. In an effort to try and use this as a teachable moment I explained how I wasn't mad but we can't pick that water back up and put it in the cup. Yes, we can clean it up and you will never know it was there and yes we can get more but it wont be that same water. I then explained how just like that water the things we say we can't take back. Yes, we can apologize or say something nice to try and offset it but we can never really put it back in the cup so to speak. And then I thought about how often (EVERY DAY, it seems) I say something I shouldn’t, I’m not a kid anymore. I nag my hubby about stuff I WANT DONE. I gripe at my boys for messes I don’t want to clean up or am sick of doing. I complain to my friends about something I don’t agree with or ways I think I could make it better. There are way to many “I’s” in that last sentence.
Maybe this was a gentle way of  making me realize that I need to watch what comes out of my mouth. 
I admit. I often fail. I often face plant miserably but my desire is this:
“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.” Psalm 19:14
_________________________
Do you struggle with your tongue?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to keep off the 7-10lb weight gain this Holiday Season

Happy Monday, friends! Did you know that many people gain anywhere from 7-10 lbs over the holidays (from Halloween through New Years)?? I k...