Thursday, July 22, 2010

Are you speaking the language?

Look at these sweet little men of mine. How can a girl not smile?

The one thing that I am learning in my young, young age is that everyone has a love language. I already know.... there is a book out....I have read it, like Seven years ago. Clearly, it didn't sink in too well because I am just now realizing what that means and the importance of it.  Lately, I have been making a conscious effort to try and figure out what the love languages are of the others around me.  It's Crazy, seriously, you should try it.  If you speak in their love language (the way they feel loved) it is amazing the response.



Which brings me back to these three adorable little men I keep speaking about. Being a mom of all boys, and not growing up with any brothers, I have been somewhat of a fish out of water.  I thought I would be going shopping, playing dress up and getting my nails done, not playing in the dirt, wrestling, tickling, racing, sword fighting or shooting 100 jumps shots in a row (seriously) just for them to want to do it all over again.  Side note: I mean someone please help a sister out and tell me HOW do they have SO MUCH energy? (deep breath)  This, my friends, is my life and guess what?  It's crazy and tiring but I LOVE LOVE LOVE  it.  I couldn't imagine not having boys, which brings me back to trying to make sure that I speak their language and not my own. 


I have learned that my boys, at this point in their sweet little lives, their love language is Play (Quality Time) and Words (Affirmation).  I made a new rule in our house, no yelling. Ummm... I bet you can guess who this rule was put in place for??  Yep, you guessed it yours truly and my twin Mason.  We tend to be the so called  "yellers" of the family (your shocked right?) while Chris and Brady are the cool, calm, collective ones of the castle.  I am sure none of you have every done the whole yell thing, where it hurts your throat and you look around and pray that noone somehow heard the awful noise that came from your mouth?  Well, I have nnnever done that, I was just thinking maybe you had. 



So, here are some of the things we have put into place.  Date Nights with the boys.  At least once a month  each of us separately take one of the boys on a "date".  We let them pick wherever they want to eat and then whatever activity they want to do.  To say they love it would be an understatement.  The last time Mason and I were on our date at dinner I asked him if he was having fun and he said (in his sweet little voice), "Mom, it can't get any bedder than this."  Oh how he melts my heart. (sigh) As I was saying, we also have started family game night at least 1-2 times a week and there is a whole lot more jumping, twisting, swording, playing and then more dancing, playing, jumping, climbing that is going on in our castle.  Why?  Because in those moments I am speaking their language.  A language that, has taken me awhile to learn, I am thankfully starting to speak fluently.  Do I mess up and say the wrong word or not speak it as much as I should?  Of course I do!  The one thing I am 100% confident in is the fact that no matter how hard, tiring or inconvenient it can be at times.  I would learn how to speak any language for my sweet boys to feel like the most loved little men on this planet. 


So, do you know your kids/ friends/coworkers/kings love language?   
Here are the options: Quality Time, Affirmation of Words, Gifts, Acts of Service, Physical Touch.  I am going to bet if you haven't thought about this before, you are most likely speaking to others in the way you feel loved and maybe not in the way they feel loved.  Just something to think about.


 Well, thats all I have to report on for now. Happy Loving!!

2 comments:

  1. I so relate with the sword fighting, wrestling etc!! Who would've thought way back in high school that we would have ended up with this many boys :) Love reading your blog, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are reading the blog, Davina! Boys are great, as you already know. SO glad we can catch up on each others lives even if it is via blog!!!

    ReplyDelete

How to keep off the 7-10lb weight gain this Holiday Season

Happy Monday, friends! Did you know that many people gain anywhere from 7-10 lbs over the holidays (from Halloween through New Years)?? I k...